Monday, February 12, 2007

Disco Pogo for Punks in Pumps vol. 6

I thought that this series was over. I had got to the end of my 13 Disco Pogo for Punks in Pumps compilations, which were given out with the late great Jockey Slut magazine between November 2002 and December 2003. But I was missing the magazine that had the sixth in the series and although I had the magazine and the CD case for volume 10, the CD has mysteriously vanished. But then step forward James from Yer Mam! with the kind offer of the mp3s from the missing two, so I could complete the series.

So thanks very much James, and here’s my picks from volume 6, from May 2003. These include a track that has since become a Four Tet classic, and Icelander Mugison in a tune that reminds me in a strange kind of way of Hot Chip. Then there’s some techo – anthemic from Midnight Mike, ambient from Sylvie Marks and squelchy from Bangkok Impact. And finally, there’s Mylo’s soon-to-be-annoying Destroy Rock ‘n’ Roll. Mind you, I still love the way that preacher pronounces “David Boowie”. Apparently the sample comes from a CD of sermons from American end-times cults. I heard it in Rough Trade the other week. Well weird. It was sampled by Negativland first y’know – back on their 1987 album Escape from Noise.

Download: Four Tet – She Moves She
Download: Mugison – Ear
Download: Mylo – Destroy Rock ‘n’ Roll
Download: Sylvie Marks and Hal 9000 – Mad Zen
Download: Bangkok Impact – Masters of the Universe
Download: Midnight Mike – Lost in a Dream (mix for Jockey Slut)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jockey Slut was such a good magazine. It's a shame it folded aspecially as it's content was ahead of it's time (ie Justice Vs Simian's 'Never Be Alone').

There should be a petition to bring it back but I suppose that's not exactly going to bring it back is it.

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Hey, could you put Destroy Rock 'N' Roll back up please?