Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Give out but don't give up

Do I love the new Primal Scream single Country Girl? As 'The Dude' in The Big Lebowksi would say “Does the Pope shit in the woods?” After the average-ness of Evil Heat, this is a blistering return to form. The Scream do rock ‘n’ roll again! And there was a great feature on them in the Observer Music Monthly on Sunday, featuring Bobby Gillespie on the cover, wearing a Nudie Suit in full messianic pose!

Maybe then it’s time to re-evaluate their previous major rock ‘n’ roll excursion – 1994’s Give Out But Don’t Give Up. It wasn’t too well received at the time, including by myself. But I really didn’t know much better. I got into music via a combination of acid house and Madchester, and then moved onto indie rock. Screamadelica was exactly my thing. I hadn’t heard of (never mind heard) Exile on Main Street or Let it Bleed. Stax horns had never troubled my ears. Now I have, and count these among my favourite music, so listening to Give Out…again is a real treat.

Sure it’s derivative, and wears its influences loud and proud for all to see. But it’s also a great album. It’s got a dirty, Southern rock ‘n’ roll swagger. It’s got funk, soul, and plaintive ballads. It’s got clichéd, sleazy lyrics. It’s got The sweet voice of Denise Johnson. Heck, it’s even got George Clinton bringing the calls to groove. What’s not to like?

This is the album where the Scream team are true to all their much touted-influences. Even in the ecstasy haze of Screamadelica, Bobby Gillespie was talking up MC5 and the Stones. It didn’t seem right at the time, but it all came out on Give Out...

So belated appreciation all round. I’d probably go as far as to say that it’s my favourite Scream album after Screamadelica. So there.

Download: Primal Scream - Rocks
Download: Primal Scream - Call on Me
Download: Primal Scream - Funky Jam

Buy Give Out But Don't Give Up. You really need it, you know.

No comments: